Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Teaser Tuesday - The Classic Ten by Nancy MacDonell Smith

Hey everyone! How's the start to your week going? I've got a test on Thursday and a presentation on Saturday (in Tokyo, of all places) so it's gonna be another busy week for me :p But I did find this week's teaser book in BookOff, and since I remember liking it when I first read it (though I didn't review), I figured I should just get it and reread it for old time's sake.

The Classic Ten is a short history of ten classic fashion staples, such as the suit, the jeans, the little black dress, etc. It's a pretty light read.

My teaser:

"In Venice, the city government passed a law that specified that only upper-class women in the first fifteen years of marriage could wear them. When that didn't work, they resorted to more draconian measures, and demanded that all the ladies of Venice, other than the dogeressa, her daughters, and her daughters-in-law, hand over their pearls."

To put this into context, European officials wanted to maintain the exclusivity of pearls, and resorted to that weird law.

What is your teaser?
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn of Books and a Beat. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read 
  • Open to a random page 
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page 
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!) 
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

5 comments :

  1. This sounds like it is filled with interesting information. My teaser this week comes from a new fantasy - The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly sounds like it is one of those slightly off the wall books that are filled with random facts you can trot out at a party. This is my offering... https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/teaser-tuesday-28th-june-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good interesting information book!
    Check out My TT

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is drastic! Sounds like it would be a fun and interesting read, Eustacia. Good luck with your exam and presentation! I hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^