Friday, April 20, 2018

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Even though this book is really famous (and for good reason), I only got around to reading it today because my brother went and watched the play with his school and I wanted to be able to talk about it with him.

The Curious Incident About the Dog in the Nighttime is a book ‘written’ by Christopher. Christopher is crazy smart when it comes to math, and like my brother, doesn’t like bananas and doesn’t have much people skills.

The story begins when Christopher finds Wellington, the next door neighbour’s dog, dead and decides to investigate. His investigation brings up a revelation - namely that his mother, who he thought was dead, is actually alive and living in London. So this is slightly less of a mystery and more of a story about Christopher trying to make his way in the world.

Of course, I really, really liked Christopher because he reminded me so much of my brother! I think the characterisation of someone with relatively high-functioning autism was well done and I really felt all his pain. And the last line of the book! Seriously those lines could make me cry (look away if you don’t want spoilers):

"And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Wellington? and I found my mother and I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything."

Yes, Christopher, you really can do anything (‘:

And I asked my brother for his thoughts on the story and he says that he liked it very much because he could relate to Christopher but his classmates kept turning to look at him. I hope the play taught them a bit more empathy.

4 comments :

  1. I am so glad you enjoyed this one, Eustacia. I read it a few years ago and loved it. I admit to wondering about the realism of it. I know autism affects everyone in different ways, but sometimes books like these are less realistic than real. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - for me it was pretty realistic, although autism is a spectrum so I think what is "real" for one person may not be as real for another.

      Delete
  2. I also came to read it a short while ago. I didn't like it, though. I didn't finish it. I don't know why I couldn't connect with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's Christopher? His narration is pretty unique, which could take some getting used to.

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^