Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Secret Life of Cows by Rosamund Young

I saw this in WHSmith and couldn’t resist buying it because how cute is this book? It’s all about cows and their lives! Alright, that last sentence doesn't sound particularly exciting, but this is a really charming book.

The Secret Life Of Cows is written by Rosamund Young, who runs Kite’s Nest Farm. The internet tells me that the farm is special because all the meat, fleece, and other products come from animals that have been given free run of the farm. The cows get to take care of their own calves and basically, the animals lead good lives before they have to die.

The book itself is a series of stories about the animals on the farm. It’s mainly about the cows, but Rosamund talks about the chickens and sheep as well. By observing the interactions between the animals, Rosamund shows us that cows (and sheep and chickens) do form friendships and care for one another.

I found this to be a really sweet read (and this is seriously the ideal farm). The farm workers care for their animals and it’s awesome to read about humane farming practices. The cows are really intelligent, and they clearly care for each other.

If you like animals, and if you like reading about farms (especially the Enid Blyton type of farms), you’ll love this book. It’s seriously the Willow Tree farm come to life and I think it’s great that something like this exists!

2 comments :

  1. This sounds like a very humane farm. I imagine a book like this would make me move closer to being a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it interesting that they sell meat on the farm too! I think it's the closest thing to humane farming that I've seen so far(:

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^