Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Colt Harper: Esteemed Vampire Cat by Tyrolin Puxty

When Tyrolin, the author, asked me if I wanted to read Colt Harper: Esteemed Vampire Cat, I said yes because:

1. Her Broken Dolls books are really good
2. It had a really good blurb. I mean, almost anything with the words "vampire cat" will pique my interest but the blurb promised fun and a snarky narrator.

And it totally delivered.

Colt Harper is, as the title indicates, a vampire cat. You might think he's a monster but cats adore him (you might want to revise your opinions of cats). After all, he kills all those pesky humans that hurt or kill cats, which makes him a hero in his own twisted way. But, the Council doesn't see it that way, and since Colt has to be punished for killing another human, he has to do... community service.

The horror.

His fellow comrades (although Colt would protest at such a term being used) are Lexi, a tickle monster, and Jax, a werewolf with a deep, abiding sense of guilt. Running the place is the human Saffy, whom Colt instantly feels drawn to, although he can't figure out why. Secrets are revealed as the monsters to the monsters (humans known as Chasers) come out and start trying to kill Colt and the others.

This story is action-packed and fun. I liked the references to the author, which felt clever and were not annoying, and I liked Colt. My initial liking for Colt grew stronger after I found out that he, too, is not a fan of insta-love. That is one sensible vampire cat.

The rest of the characters were interesting too. I liked Lexi and Jax, and their relationship with Colt was definitely one of the highlights of the series. Saffy was alright, but there were sudden changes (especially towards the end) which made me not-like her so much. Plus, despite Colt's insistence to the contrary, he definitely favoured Saffy from the start so I never really got to see if she was interesting. Jax and Lexi, on the other hand, had to work for their screen time and I liked them a lot more.

This book will definitely appeal to fans of cats and/or Tyrolin. If you've read some of her other books and you're wondering if you should pick this one up, you totally should. It's a fun and interesting story with a snarky protagonist.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of the book from the author in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^