Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Teasr Tuesday - The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy

Hey everyone! So we're at the last teaser Tuesday for May, which is a bit of a shock for me because I thought the month just started. Today's teaser is from The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy and I was super excited about this because I studied The God of Small Things for literature a long, long time ago. My teaser:
"True, it was only a routine bit of humiliation for Hijras, nothing out of the ordinary, and nothing at all compared to the tribulations others endured during those horrible months. 
It was nothing, but still, it was something."
I'm actually really conflicted about the book right now because well... the language. There's a lot more swearing than I expected and I don't think I can handle it right now. The writing is lovely and what I've read so far is really captivating and heartbreaking at the same time but the language is making me not want to turn the page (It's not every other word, but it's crude and frequent enough to be too much for me). I may give this a rest and hopefully come back to it before my NetGalley copy expires and decide that I loved it or something like that.

How to participate in Teaser Tuesday:  
•Grab your current read 
• Open to a random page 
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page 
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!) 
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! 
What would you do? Would you read on?

11 comments :

  1. It's too bad when something like foul language forces you off off a book that you would otherwise really enjoy. Authors say "I'm just being authentic" but there are certainly ways around writing that way.

    Mine this week is a Michael Connelly "Lincoln Lawyer" legal thriller: https://wp.me/p3Nz8P-1ka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose she wanted to show that the world is an uncomfortable place, but it's a bit much for me.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't have expected bad language by looking at the cover and that title. It usually doesn't bother me but sometimes doesn't seem necessary for a story.

    My TT from River Of Teeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell if it's necessary or not, because I'm still at the start but I didn't expect bad language either :p

      Delete
  3. Nothing but still something... Hmm, I'm intrigued. I hope you enjoy it!

    My Teaser Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds intriguing, but I'd probably have trouble dealing with that much swearing, too. I'd likely move on to something more pleasant, but if you stick with it I hope you enjoy it. Excellent teaser, though!

    Here's my last Teaser for May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, admittedly, sensitive to swearing so it may not bother you (or anyone else) that much.

      Delete
  5. I am reading a book right now that has a lot of foul language in it, and so it's more of a side read right now. I can only read it in small doses. I've heard great things about Roy's books. I am surprised the one you are reading has so much cursing in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read The God of Small Things and I don't remember it having cursing - but it was set in a completely different type of environment, so that may be why.

      Delete
  6. Wondering if the text can live up to the title. Not sure it's for me, but I hope you like it better in time. My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome title. I'll probably read another book and then see if I feel like going back to this :p

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^