Friday, July 8, 2016

Shattered Girls by Tyrolin Puxty

When I started reading this, I was really nervous because I loved Broken Dolls (the first book) so much that I didn't know if Shattered Girls could live up to it. While I'm not going to gush as much as I did for Broken Dolls, Shattered Girls is easily a five star book.

After a hope and skip in time, Gabby is now 16 years old, while Ella is still a doll (world famous doll, I might add. There was an incident and now everyone knows about Ella). One day, Gabby's parents disappears, and something is wrong with the professor too. Soon, Gabby and Ella discover that it's not only her parents and grandfather, people all around the world are disappearing, and no one seems to care about it. Gabby and Ella will have to team up with crazy Sianne and even (gasp) Lisa (Libby) if they want to save the world.

For anyone still thinking of Broken Dolls, let me first say: Shattered Girls is nothing like Broken Dolls. I don't think I can quite articulate it, but apart from the world being expanded, the book has a very different tone from the first one. Which I suppose is natural, since Gabby is now 16, with all the trials and tribulations that it brings.

I must say, I really liked Ella's growth over the course of this book. In the first book, which had a not-so-happy ending, Ella makes a really selfish decision. In this book, Ella manages to atone for that, and I'm actually really happy with the ending. Even if there wasn't the third book (which there is, yay!), I would be pretty happy with this ending, because of how things turn out with Ella, Gabby and family. Plus, Lisa turns from psychopath to cool psychopath in this book, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing what she's going to do in the next book.

If you liked the first book, I think you'll like the second book as well. And if you want something that's a little different from the norm, definitely check out this series.

Disclaimer: I got this book from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review.

2 comments :

  1. I read the first book after you reviewed it and liked. I didn't want to read this one in case it was bad :-;
    I'm glad to see it won't disappoint me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely different from the first book, but I think you should like it(:

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^