Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Oliver Cromwell by Frederic Harrison

I started this book knowing nothing about Oliver Cromwell, and in retrospect, that was a mistake. All I know after the end of the this book is that there was a civil war, Oliver Cromwell's side won, and that the dude was a very religious man.

While the book has a very flowy (can't think of a better word) style of narration that's not unpleasant to read, it's way, way too short. On my iPad, it's about 200 odd pages, and I really think that if it was twice or three times as long, and if the author took the time set the context, the book would have been a lot more understandable and rich. For example, the first chapter is (I think), on the genealogy of Oliver Cromwell, and I didn't even realise what was going on until the chapter ended.

Oh, and I hope that this is a mistake that only the ARC has, but there were a few missing full stops. I read somewhere that the full stop was supposed to go extinct or something like that, but I didn't expect it to happen so fast. Hopefully the published version will have it fixed.

If you already know about Oliver Cromwell and wish to deepen your understanding of him, I think you will enjoy this book. If, however, you are like me and don't really know much (especially about English history), you may want to read a Wikipedia article or something to grasp the context of what was going on.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^