Thursday, June 23, 2016

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

I won this book on Kindle Scout, so yay for that!

Raven's Peak follows... well, it's either Abigail or Haatim. So my normal opening sentence does not work here. Basically, Abigail hunts demons, and Haatim is running from his past. When Haatim unwittingly becomes entangled in the whole demon world, he meets Abigail and things start to get weird and dangerous for him. The two eventually end up at a tiny town called Raven's Peak, where people are going crazy, and where Abigail and Haatim will both have to face their past in one way or another.

I've previously talked about Lincoln Cole's books, and this was as good as the other, even though he's writing in a completely different genre. I'm really not kidding or exaggerating when I say that I was flipping the pages as quickly as possible. From the prologue, which doesn't make sense until you're deep in the book and then it hits you, to the ending, the book had many twists and turns. It was definitely a thrilling read (kinda like the roller coaster of books, come to think of it).

As for the characters, I really liked Abigail and Haatim. They worked well together, and they both had that essential spark that made them come alive to me. For Abigail, it was her bonds to the man she thought of as father (or a father figure). For Haatim, it was the tragedy in his past. Both of them are weighed down by it, and getting over them is something that they have to do if they want to confront the external problem that's all around them.

If you're a fan of horror, I really recommend this book. And if my word isn't enough, think of it this way: enough people liked the book to nominate it, and it caught the editor's eye over at Kindle Scout, so that should tell you how good it is.

Disclaimer: I know the author, and I nominated the book for Kindle Scout, which is how I got my copy. The gushing, however, was made of my own free will and is my honest opinion.

1 comment :

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^