Monday, August 24, 2015

The Librarian by M.N. Arzu

Ok, so I'm sure quite a few of you have heard me talk about WriteOn before. Today's review is of a book from a WriteOn friend. So consider yourself warned - I'm not the most unbiased reviewer here.

The Librarian is about, surprisingly, aliens. Yeah, not something I guessed from the title either. So basically, some strange activity is found, and when the US military goes to investigate, they find a man (Nick). They're pretty sure he's not human, because of said strange activity, but he isn't talking to anyone but his wife (Jane). So, desperate for contact with aliens, they get Jane. Only, Jane can't really accept what's going on (obviously). And Nick? Nick's hiding something...

Even though this story was pretty short, it being a novella, it took a twist that I didn't expect at the end. But, it made sense to me in retrospect.

Personally, I loved this novella. I actually grabbed the official copy, and no, I didn't spot any mistakes. But then again, I didn't have my feedback cap on, so don't take me at my word. I was just enjoying the story this time round.

Oh, and I was left with some questions. I want to know more about what happens after the ending, because the way the world works, I'm wondering if the happy ending is going to be happy. I'm speaking in riddles because I don't want to give up any spoilers, but let's just say the way the alien works makes me think this is just a happy ever after for now, rather than a happy ever after. I wonder if there's going to be a short story sequel dealing with that...

Generally, I really enjoyed this story. It had an interesting premise, I liked the two main characters, and the ending gave me enough information that I was intrigued. Again, I'm not the most unbiased of readers, but I'd like to believe that even if I didn't know the author, I'd write an equally positive review.

Disclaimer: Like the previous two disclaimers, I know the author. She's a friend of mine, and I generally really enjoy reading her stuff on WriteOn.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^