Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Grimm Memories by Janna Jennings

Last year, I reviewed A Grimm Legacy (click to read review) and really liked it. Soon after, the author offered me a review copy of the sequel, which I naturally accepted. But, because it was in PDF and iBooks, I totally forgot about it until today. So embarrassing, or as we say in Singlish, so paiseh. Since I had to go and teach today (part time job), I managed to finish the book while making my way there and back!

So, Grimm Memories, being the sequel, takes place about half a year later. The four are reunited, and because Andi and Dylan are having strange dreams, they sneak back to Elorium, aka fairy-tale world. Only this time, Quinn's brother manages to come along (he was sent to make sure she didn't go back to Elorium. I guess he failed pretty badly). But the Elorium they go back to is in turmoil. What is happening? That's what the four has to find out. Characters from the first book make their appearance, as do new characters, and the plot twists and turns in very unexpected ways.

I must say, I don't quite understand the ending - how did they figure out things so neatly? Then again, I should add that I was rushing through the book in order to find out what happened, so I may have missed some pertinent detail.

Apart from that, I really don't have any complaints about the book. If you've read the first book, you'll adore how the characters and their relationships with each other continue to grow. I hope that if there are future books, we get to see him in normal earth a little more - I'd like to know how this experience has changed how they interact with others. There are hints here, and if they're developed, it could be a really interesting story.

To be honest, I'm not sure which book I like better. The first book referenced many, many fairy-tales, while this book has more original ideas. It really all goes down to personal preference, but if you enjoyed the first book, you'll probably enjoy this one too.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^