Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Break These Rules by Luke Reynolds (Editor)

This is one of those rare books that I managed to finish in one day. I used to read at least one book a day, but with university coming up, well, I've slowed down a lot. So this is currently the highest praise I can give a book when it comes to addictiveness and readability.

While I don't read much YA (because of how every book seems to have a heroine that's gorgeous but doesn't know it, with two guys after her), I was very pleasantly surprised. This really are "rules" that ought to be broken.

For example, "Listening is a waste of time" or "Don't clash with the crowd" (guess which one I break really often?). Some rules are more of unspoken social norms, like "Look like a magazine cover" - they're not said, but it's more implied that everyone should follow them. Again, I'm starting to feel pretty good of myself - I break that rule too! (Ok, I break it because I'm too lazy to put on make up and I prize comfort more than anything, but still!)

There are some that I have doubts about, or actually thing are worth holding, like "Dress appropriately" (ok, I know this is about personality, but it's always good to wear, say a suit to your entrance ceremony rather than fbts and flip flops), and "There are firm rules in life". Personally, I do think there are firm rules in life - the basic ones being stuff like "Don't murder", "Don't steal", "Respect your parents" (I could just list the Ten Commandments here), "Love your neighbour", etc. To say "do what feels right, right now" is to me, impractical. What if taking my friends stuff is what feels right to me? Or what if I feel like I should punch/insult someone who's annoying me? Those may feel right at that time, but they're definitely not the right things to do.

But what really impressed me though, were the books that the authors had written. Quite a few of them made reference to their books, and they were really different from what I've come to characterise YA as. I really need to go and pick up those books.

Probably not just for teens/young adults, this book is suitable for everyone.

Disclaimer: I got a copy of this galley from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^