Thursday, May 2, 2013

Amity and Sorrow by Peggy Riley

Amity and Sorrow are running away. Well, their mom is running away, and they're bring dragged along. Amity doesn't really care, but all Sorrow wants to do is go back. And what Sorrow wants, Sorrow gets. Or so it has been her whole life. But when their car is smashed in Okalhama, things change.

That, is as much of a summary I can give. It's not a pretty book - the subject matter is actually quite ugly. I think I despised almost all the characters, except perhaps Amity and Dust. But still, I finished this book in record time.

This book was written in present tense, except for the flashbacks. I'm really not a present-tense kind of person, but the book was really captivating and drew me in. After a while, I didn't really notice anything and just let myself be dragged along by the story. Plus, the language really is beautiful (such a contrast to the characters and story), which made me want to read on and on.

The premise of the story is intriguing  and as the book progresses, the backstory is gradually revealed. Like the blurb says, they're running from a polygamous compound  but it also looks at the nature of love and control. This is a book for looking back, and even the ending is not complete. Not all the characters make it out of the past.

It's not the type of book I normally read (I gravitate towards sunny books), but I'm glad I read it.

Disclaimer: I got a free galley from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^