Thursday, April 11, 2013

Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie

For a while, I was scared that I read most of the Poirot series, but this book has given me hope that I still have many more left to read(: Death in the Clouds is particularly interesting for me because it involves air travel.

Unfortunately, poor M. Poirot suffers from air-sickness, which is why he was asleep when the murder of Mdm Giselle occurred. In fact, the murder weapon, a blowpipe, was found stuffed in his seat, which is why our dear detective was suspected by the jury! Thankfully, the coroner refused to accept the verdict.

Not because of that, Poirot is drawn into the case. Because the case took place on a plane, both the French and English police are involved. And even when they wanted to give up on the case (push everything to the other country!), Poirot just continued on, frustrating the police force by refusing the share what he's thinking.

As always, I didn't manage to guess who the murderer was successfully. Classic Christie. Her solutions make so much sense, but somehow, I never manage to guess it. To me, this is what separates her from those feel good mystery-fluff (nothing wrong with reading those, I enjoy them too~). In mystery-fluff, I don't bother guessing who the murderer is because there aren't any clues, and the most suspicious people are the ones that the protagonist suspect (then again, these mysteries are always written in first person).

The romance in this book is actually not as heavy as some of the others. Romance is never a primary plot, but it's safe to say that Poirot is a romantic. I would actually like to read about how Poirot meddled in a certain couple's relationship in this book. It feels like it would be interesting.

Yes, the airtravel in this book is dated (unless you don't enjoy it, in which Poirot's troubles are yours), but this is still a very enjoyable read.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^